Thursday, January 17, 2013

Thousands of candles can be lit from a single candle, and the life of the candle will not be shortened






The last two years of art we have wanted to make lanterns but never got around to it. This year we finally did and I absolutely love mine! I didn't want it to be a typical cut out design, I wanted it to be dimensional. I started by using a drawing of a rose. At first it seemed really cool until I realized the rose wasn't connected to the paper anymore. I had to find a way to achieve the look I wanted and keep the paper together at the same time. After making 5+ paper flowers I started to work on the intricate design that added more effect when it was lit up. I made one flower for each side of the lantern and also made a flower cut design on sturdier paper as the backing/form. The cut design on the form of the lantern added even more details when the light was shone through both layers. I wasn't sure if I was going to like doing cut paper designs; especially because I was terrified of cutting my self. This experience was pleasantly surprising and I'm extremely excited to see all of the different lanterns lit up at the art show! 

No comments:

Post a Comment